The Saltby Farms are actively involved with both the ELS and HLS stewardship schemes.
Environmental Stewardship is an agri-environment scheme run by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
Environmental Stewardship has a number of wide ranging objectives, which include:-
- Protection of water and soil
- Prevention of erosion and water pollution
- Flood management
- Wildlife conservation
- Protect archaeological sites and historic features
- Provide public access to the countryside
- Conserve rare traditional livestock breeds and varieties
Here at Saltby we have 70 acres in the ELS scheme and are pleased that since its establishment with a special ‘Beetle Bank’ grass seed mix we are noticing an increase in the number of barn owls, grey partridge and hatches of wild pheasants plus more insect diversity, particularly butterflies. Much of the ELS land is located alongside waterways on the farm, acting as a good buffer to protect water quality.